Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I Think I Aged it too long: Part 1

Every time I see this beer's name, I keep here Charles Barkley...




Beer Log: May 13, 2009

Unibrou's Terrible
The bottle is so badass I didn't want to open it. We slapped this one in the kitchen in our cellar area (basically on top of the counters) and we left this one up there for MONTHS. So we chilled 'er down on May 13 to finally have a beer called "Terrible".

Smells rather fruitay. Head makes noise then goes away fast, kinda like Rice Krispies. Very dark brown color. I drink it in the snifter and I get high carbonation, dry, astringent, and some kinda brown sugar sweet taste. Don't care for it all. Definitely not a misnomer here. Low 3 Star.

Beer Log: May 14, 2009
So we were planning a beer dinner a few months ago and the plans feel through. But one of the beers I wanted everyone to try was some apricot flavored beer. I haven't had it but it seemed to call me when I bought it in Lafayette.

St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale
Nose is apricot and malt. Amber clear beer with a decent white head. Smells like perfume aisle at Dillard's. High carbonation and grainy when you try the first slug. Followed by some malt and some apricot. Very tingly on the tongue. Just too heavy on the graininess. Medium hops with an icky hop aftertaste. Light body and kinda bready as it warms. I'd prefer lower hops and taking it easy on the apricot extract. 2 Stars.

Dammit man I was looking forward to that, but we had that one in our pantry for months on end. Oh well.

Silver Jubilee 25th Anniversary
Another one I copped in Lafayette at Marcello's. Sour and fruity nose. Light color with bubbles all rising into a white somewhat fleeting head. It's a little sour, bubblegum, and bready. A little off on the aftertaste with some bad notes of ICK. 1 Star man. High carbonation. This beer came out in 2005 and I think Marcello's just had some around for damn near 4 years, then we had it at our place for a few months. I keep drinking it and that aftertaste is killing it for me. Oh well. I look it now and it turns out it's from North Coast, one of my favorites.

I think the moral of this story is to take care with what you age. A wheat beer and a farmhouse ale, not so much. I don't know what to say about the "Terrible". At 10.5% ABV I was hoping it could stand up a little better.

No comments: