Saturday, June 6, 2009

Texas Hill Country: Wine Reviews?

Yup. I'm expanding out, but only for the area. I am a huge homer and adore the local brewers in Texas with much love to Louisiana. But the wife and I will be spending our anniversary in the Texas Hill Country.

The original intent was to hit New Braunfels, Blanco, and Fredericksburg. For those not aware, there is a huge German influence in the Hill Country of Texas and all three of these towns used to boast of a microbrewery or a brewpub. Kind of a German Texas Beer tour.

But it turns out the brewery in New Braunfels ain't brewing at all, and the Real Ale Brewery in Blanco is not having tours. So we will stop and have lunch in New Braunfels at one of the German restaurants (and probably drink Shiner), and take a circuitious route to Fredericksburg. Some friends who live in the area have hipped me to the various vineyards that are in the Hill Country. I've never paid much attention to wine reviews but will give it a go. If nothing else, it's all about Texas pride. I imagine we'll be taking home lots of wine bottles. You see, SOMEBODY can sell alcoholic beverages out of the back door, just not the beer folks. Don't get me started again.

This should be a fun trip as we'll be staying at something called a "Bed and Brew" as opposed to a Bed and Breakfast. Since we'll be skipping a couple towns, we're going to wrap the trip up in Austin. I missed a couple spots last time we were there due to a biker rally with lots of Confederate flags. We bit the bullet and stayed downtown so we could party it up. I'm looking forward to hitting Lovejoys, the wifey won't tolerate our missing Uncle Bill's Brew and Que, and maybe I'll score a little Circle Beer....hmmm.

Look forward to it. Will let you know how it goes. Also, it's looking like I'll be beering on the solo in Toronto in July. My mother in Buffalo wants to spend time with the baby, so I'll leave the child with her while I smuggle beer across the Canadian border. Holla.

No comments: