Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Beering in Ontario: Waterloo Part 2

So after leaving the Lion, I caught up with one of the boys and Molly's Irish Pub. Molly's had a lot of space with your basic pool tables and Golden Tee in the back. How dudes get so fired up for Golden Tee I'll never understand. Anyway, no one was really there but the waitresses were pretty nice.

One of my many beering traditions is to order the hottest hot wings at a place along with the hoppiest beers. Well, I got one of the two. The hot wings with the SUICIDE hot sauce was just that. I thought I was going to die. You would need something like Hop Wallop or Hop Stoopid to handle these things, and all I had was some random pilsner they claimed was hoppy to them. My friend is from the Caribbean and ate the wings like they were simply boiled chicken. I can't even remember what the hell I was drinking, as if it mattered.

After that catastrophe, we slid over to a packed Ethel's Lounge. One reason: BIG ROCK TRADITIONAL.



Even a few years ago, I could get out the malt, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Just before I got into hard beering a couple years ago, I considered this beer to be one of the best I've ever had. Brewed out of Calgary, I had it every time I went to Calgary. (Note: Calgary is the Houston of Canada, right down to the rodeo). Ethel's had a grungier restaurant look to it, but lots of room, some random patio as well.

Big Rock Traditional
Malty, brown sugar nose. Oh yes. Brown-ruby color. The taste, slight malt, medium body and cinnamon. Low hops and pretty dry. Low 3 Star. Actually it was a little boring. I guess you can't go back to the farm once you've been to Paris.

I didn't bother getting the Grasshopper or anything else. Had to get ready for the drive to Toronto.

No comments: