Monday, May 17, 2010

The Best English Barleywine I've ever had???


So I'm having dinner with the Misses while the baby is watching another episode of Diego. I wanted to fire up the Backyardigans Castaway episode, but the baby shut me down. So why not just enjoy some steak and garlic mashed potatoes and garlic spinach (the wife loves garlic), and get some English Barleywine. I can't even remember when we picked up Lagunitas Olde Gnarlywine Twenty Aught-9, but after keeping it on top of our cabinets for over a year and whatnot, I figured this is as good a time as any to drink 'er up.


Beer Log: A few minutes ago

State: Eating the basics, steak, mashed potatoes, spinach



The nose has an apple, plum, a pinch of caramel malt, and plenty of brown sugar. The color is a solidly ruby in the light and cloudy, with a frothy tan head. The beer is extremely malt, sweet, and reminds me of port wine. I LOVE PORT WINE. For years I would not even get deserts, just port wine. High 4 star. This thing is great with the staek, low bitterness. Moderate body, low carbo, extremely drinkable and I'm about ready to have this stuff injected in my veins directly. You don't even notice the high IBUs, but the hops just keep the malt from blowing you out. You know what, 5 Stars.


This is what we need. While I've been big on American BW, this English stuff is not to be effed with. Lagunitas surprises all by not hop bombing this beer but rather letting the malt take over. Unbelievable. I've found that I am just downing some serious Lagunitas beer in our stock if we don't buy anything new for a while. Especially the Imperial Red and the Brown Sugga. Turns out the wife loves cooking with the Brown Sugga, so not much of that one left.


We have the 2010 Gnarlywine as well but won't touch it for a year or two. Just let it age in the house for a long while and let it rip. Great job 'Nitas. Prost.


No comments: