Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back on the Block


Finally I'm back in the game. Had to lay off the booze for a while to get some surgery. Now I'm almost healed up though I look like Kano from Mortal Kombat. "Hey baby, did you miss me? Do you remember this knife, it's when I cut your partner, ear to ear". Man that movie ruled. Anyway, the wife and I are sitting here about to put the child to sleep. All while I was laid up looking like the Phantom of the Opera, the wife was busy buying new beer at specs. We've got an extremely grassy, acidic, and apple like Imperial IPA from Widmer. Also there are plenty of bombers and whatnot. But let's give Brewdog another shot.

Beer Log: Right now
State: Down to one eye, relaxing, eating some angel food cake

Brewdog Isle of Arran
No I'm not stupid enough to eat a palate busting food like angel food cake before trying the beer. I'm pouring this beer in my Old New Orleans Rum goblet. It pours thinner and faster than I thought, but no head at all. I've seen water bubble up more than this. Nose is complex with raisin, apple, cherry, and something like a bitter cigar smoke lingering. Not much choco or coffee like so many stouts. The taste is surprising uncomplex, just a thin woody beer, a pinch of coffee, and moderate amounts of piney hops. The second sip gets me a touch of that wood and the beer is a little puckering, sour like in feel. The body is thin, but just kinda basic. Let's see if anything changes with some warmth and a foiling AFC. It's just kinda hoppy and smokey now, black patent is what the wife thinks, and I'm inclined to agree. Maybe I was just in the mood for something stouter. Low 2 Stars.

Not sure what to think about the Brewdogs. I think they overdo it on the smoke for the beers I've had so far, and every beer I've had of there's so far is best described as what I dreaded craft beer would taste like when I was a Miller Lite guy. Not a good feeling. Kickass names though. Anyway, we've got some 5 AM and I very well may order some bottles of their super high gravity beers to put in our cellar and to sample for myself. Regardless, it's good to be back on the block.

No comments: