Friday, September 12, 2008

Hunkering Down: Hurricane Ike Beering


Yup,

Your favorite oilman is in it again with the Tropical storm/hurricane. Right now the weather is fine where we are in the upper Northwest corner of Houston. By design I do not live South of I-10. So we bought a lot of craft beer to hold it down during the storm. May as well start with the top...


Dogfish Head Raison d'etre

Had to get this one some day. I am trying to take a break from hoppy beers, and I am not finding much in the way of Oktoberfests out here. So I'm still buying wheat beers like it was summertime (which it is) and we are getting into the darker Belgians a bit more. As much as I love Dogfish, I had to cop this one. Pours with little than suddenly strong poofy tan head. Dark brown/crimson color of all things. I'm not getting much of a smell, maybe some syrup like stuff, but that's it. Tastes just fine. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but I would say it's somewhere between wine and rum. Got something like roasted fruit going on in there. It has beet sugar which I've never had straight up, so I'll assume that is what's giving me the molasses taste. Very nicely done, moderately drinkable, low carbonation. The finish is okay for me, doesn't linger. The finish is really alcoholy and lightly bitter. I like it and it would be a 4 starer, but that alcohol aftertaste is not quite what I'm looking for. There are other Belgians I would rather have. Big fan of Brown sugar. This would be great if it had a touch of bret in there or a touch of sourness to balance out the sweetness. Oh well, it has a lot more going for it than most of my 3 Star beers, low 4 stars. I could see me ordering this as a late desert beer or something, but not in everyday drinking. It's actually getting a little worse as it warms, which puts it firmly in 3 star land.

No comments: