Friday, June 6, 2008

Why Can't We Be Friends


If you don't know, War is the sh*t. Anyway, I've heard tell in the podcastosphere about two micro/medium sized breweries getting together to make a Belgian beer. I couldn't remember the name until I saw the bottle at Central Market.
May 11, 2008
State: Slight hungry
How cool is this? Avery and Russian River got together to make Salvation. And if I'm understanding the bottle correctly, they just both made the same Belgian style of beer and blended them. Gotta love friends. "Sticking together is what good waffles do."
It's cloudy with a dark copper color with an offwhite head. It's smells of slight citrus, fruit, and malt. Kinda like Leffe (who I say is the standard Belgian). It's full bodied and slightly gritty on the tongue. It's smoooooooooooth, malty with slight spice and low hops. There's no aftertaste, but I can tell that this beer is very complex. This one was Batch #2. Maybe by the time I taste Batch #3 or #4, I would be able to discern what's going on. We did at least drink it in a wine goblet. I start eating ribs and fries, and the beer tastes more sour as it warms up. I like it, and wish I could have more. But as I sit here offshore unloading my notebook, I really could use a fruity/sour Belgian right about now. Only 3 more days and a wake up.
This is apparently Placid's signature beer. They say they named the beer after the dog, Ubu. Well it's has weak smoked malt smell, dark brown with a light tan head. It's cloudy as well. It's bready on the first taste with malt coming second. I get the smoked malt (though light) with maybe some biscuits. It has medium carbonation with very low hops. The aftertaste is biscuity as well. As it warms (I love it when it warms) the aftertaste gets more bitter, though I could just be getting used to the malt. I'm having a hard time picking out the Ubu though.

No comments: