Monday, May 28, 2012

Sam Adams Longshot Memorial Day Beering

Well I just changed out the smoke detector in the most un-ergonomical place in the house.  And now I just changed out the toilet internals in the bedroom.  The wife is out getting some Saint Arnold Homefront IPA and some bison meat for the grill, so I'm going to take a break before going to the other toilet and the other smoke detector.

And what do you know, we have all this Sam Adams Longshot beer that we have not sampled or blogged about yet.  Somebody hit the music.



Sam Adams Fred Hessler. Derf's Secret Alt
For a while there a few years back I was really on the alt/dunkel kick.  I was slamming as much Boston Ale and Heineken Dark as I could handle.  Anyway, I've been big on pilsners and saisons (gotta love how one's tastes change), so let's see if this dude can bring me back to Alts.

Pours with a huge head in my Saint Arnold 16oz glass.  Nice deep brown color that allows a ruby light through it. The nose has a fantastic caramel and brown sugar thing.  Kind of reminds me like making sugar cookies but with brown sugar, which rocks btw.  Thicker than I thought it would be is the first sensation, but that quickly gives way to the FANTASTIC caramel, maple syrup and brown sugar flavor.  My mouth is left with sour dark cherry that I am just thrilled about as well.  Low hops and just utterly fantastic.  I have that great alt yeast affect in there, kind of like a bit of copper that just works perfectly.  I get ZERO alcohol in this thing, which is scary as I may just slam this thing in about 15 minutes.  5 stars all the way.

And later on...

I just got the other toilet finished and smoke alarm.  That checks off two big items on Remember the Milk and I'm ready for a Longshot

Sam Adams Five Crown Imperial Stout
Splitting this one with the wife.  Enjoying this in my Old New Orleans minigoblet.  Deep dark brown with a nice thin tan head.  The nose gives me a great dark malt, chocolate, and plum.  The taste has a nice chocolate and coffee, maybe some dried fruit.  I get a nice sourness as well in the middle of this beer.  Has a decent bitterness and a nice dryness in the finish.  Low 4 Stars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I got the same 6 pk. I have only tried the Imperial Stout and I though it was pretty good, but not great. I agree with your ranking. Pretty good for a homebrewer.

Drinks and Eats said...

If you're going to work on summertime Sam, may I recommend their Porch Rocker? Excellent beer for a hot day!

ronnel sahagun said...

Your The Beer Brotha Post is so very cool and nice ! visit also our site here!

The American Don said...

Hey guys, thanks for reading the blog. I will hunt down that Sam Adams Porch Rocker and blog about it forthwith